Position: Payroll Manager
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
CHAP is an independent, nonprofit accrediting body for home and community-based health care organizations. CHAP is made up of people who care, on a mission to lead and a journey to serve.
Created in 1965 as a joint venture between the American Public Health Association and the National League for Nursing, CHAP was the first accrediting body for home and community-based health care organizations in the United States. CHAP is headquartered in Washington, DC with field accreditation staff working across numerous states.
Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Payroll Manager will handle payroll, cash receipts, accounts payable and other duties. Extensive use of accounting software (SAP Business One), HR and Payroll system (Mangrove) and MS Office.
CHAP seeks a Payroll Manager who will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer and will work closely with the Director of Human Resources. S/he is responsible for managing, directing, controlling, and processing CHAP’s bi-weekly payroll for 125 employees (approximately 70 of which are located outside of Washington, DC and all other payroll related duties.
Other key duties include Cash Receipts, Accounts Payable and other accounting responsibilities.
- Process payroll via Mangrove HR and Payroll; liaise with Human Resources regarding new hires, terminations, benefit deductions, salary changes and other matters;
- Maintain current knowledge & ensures compliance with all applicable laws;
- Review deduction & benefit reports and work with Human Resources for reconciliation;
- Oversee 401k contribution - prepare, review and upload 401k file to third-party administrator;
- Support 401k and Worker’s Compensation annual audits;
- Participate in annual 5500 and 990 filings;
- Compile payroll related information and work schedules for external audits;
- Play active role in improving payroll function;
- Perform various journal entries, account reconciliations, and provides general ledger support;
- Facilitate management and employee understanding of payroll procedures.
Cash Receipts (30%)
Primarily responsible for the receipt, application, reconciliation, and reporting of payments from CHAP customers. Record and report payments via mail, lockbox and credit card sources. Reconcile daily cash posting edit lists to bank deposit receipt and cash log; resolve any issues.
- Interface with internal customers to research and apply unallocated cash;
- Prepare daily and monthly cash collection summary reports for use by Senior Management;
- Assist in the review and research of the daily bank report to ensure all receipts have been posted and applied appropriately;
- Research and recording on bank returned items;
- Research and follow-up on credit card transactions;
- Assist with monthly reconciliation of the cash accounts;
- Ensure procedures are in compliance with current processing standards.
Accounts Payable (20%)
Responsible for the processing and operation of the Accounts Payable function, currently less than 50 invoices per week.
- Processes vouchers; ensures the accuracy of general ledger coding and that all transactions have been properly approved and adhere to internal policies and procedures;
- Reviews the adequacy and accuracy of supporting documentation and ensures the proper accounting treatment is applied;
- Prepares accounts payable related reports such as Disbursement Log;
- Executes the annual preparation, review, distribution and filing of Form 1099s;
- Assists with year-end closing and the preparation of audit work papers/schedules;
- Assists in the preparation of the annual Form 990;
- Develops new processes where needed to improve existing processes;
- Provides input into the update of the Accounting Policies and Procedures Manual.
Other Duties (20%)
Support other areas within Finance and Accounting function including month-end closing and other recurring or ad-hoc needs.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Credential, certificate or degree in accounting, finance or business administration; Bachelor’s degree a plus;
- Three to Five years of directly related experience;
- Proficiency with HR and Payroll systems; Microsoft Office applications; SAP Business One; Prior customer service experience required;
- Ability to work effectively with others and independently;
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects, meeting necessary deadline; ability to resolve problems quickly and effectively with minimal supervision;
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to maintain files and records in a manner that allows quick and easy retrieval;
- Ability to complete assignments with a high degree of accuracy and confidentiality.
- Professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must adhere to CHAP Customer Service Standards.
- Must possess the ability to exercise independent judgment.
This position involves full time work based in the Washington, DC office. Due to the nature of this job, lifting of materials and equipment of up to 50 pounds is required. Extended periods of sitting/standing are required.
Some local travel may be required. Speaking in fluent English is required as are above average writing skills for written correspondence. The candidate must be able to hear and see to effectively perform this job. Extensive work on a PC and telephone, at a desk, is required.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described is representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Please reference this position and submit cover letter, resume and salary expectations to CHAP at email@example.com.